Skip links and keyboard navigation

Moorlands

  • 600052
  • 451 Coronation Drive, Auchenflower

General

Classification
State Heritage
Register status
Entered
Date entered
21 August 1992
Type
Residential: Villa
Themes
6.4 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings: Dwellings
8.3 Creating social and cultural institutions: Organisations and societies
Architect
Gailey, Richard
Builder
Smith, Arthur
Construction periods
1892, Moorlands (1892 - 1892c)
1892, Moorlands - Residential accommodation - main house (1892 - 1892)
1892, Moorlands - Tower - observation/lookout (1892 - 1892)
1892, Moorlands - Kitchen/Kitchen house/Kitchen wing (1892 - 1892)
unknown, Moorlands - Gate - entrance
Historical period
1870s–1890s Late 19th century

Location

Address
451 Coronation Drive, Auchenflower
LGA
Brisbane City Council
Coordinates
-27.47895909, 152.99856576

Map

Street view

Photography is provided by Google Street View and may include third-party images. Images show the vicinity of the heritage place which may not be visible.

Request a boundary map

A printable boundary map report can be emailed to you.

Significance

Criterion AThe place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of Queensland’s history.

Moorlands is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a substantial 1890's brick residence.

Moorlands is important in exhibiting aesthetic characteristics valued by thecommunity, in particular its landmark quality, contribution to the Coronation Drive streetscape and to the riverscape of the Toowong Reach of the Brisbane River.

Moorlands has special association with the Mayne family, major benefactors of the University of Queensland, and with the domestic work of architect Richard Gailey.

Criterion DThe place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places.

Moorlands is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a substantial 1890's brick residence.

Criterion EThe place is important because of its aesthetic significance.

Moorlands is important in exhibiting aesthetic characteristics valued by thecommunity, in particular its landmark quality, contribution to the Coronation Drive streetscape and to the riverscape of the Toowong Reach of the Brisbane River.

Criterion HThe place has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in Queensland’s history.

Moorlands has special association with the Mayne family, major benefactors of the University of Queensland, and with the domestic work of architect Richard Gailey.

History

Moorlands was constructed in 1892 for the Mayne family of Brisbane. It replaced an earlier timber residence on the site which was known as Moorlands Villa.

Mary Mayne, widow of Patrick Mayne, had purchased the earlier house and almost six hectares in 1878. Patrick Mayne was a prominent Brisbane resident in the 1860s-70s who owned a butcher shop in Queen Street, served as an alderman and speculated in property. Mary Mayne and her five children resided in Moorlands Villa until her death in September 1889.

Four of the children, James, William, Isaac and Mary, continued to occupy the property and decided to build a new house. The foundation stone was laid by Mary Mayne on 3 June 1892. Beneath this was placed a time-capsule, enclosing newspapers of the day and a statement explaining why the house was being built.

The building was designed by architect Richard Gailey, and erected by contractor Arthur Smith. The ground floor contained porch, vestibule, staircase hall, drawing room, parlour, dining room, smoking room, cloakroom, serving room, pantries and kitchen. The basement housed cellars, dairy, stores and laundry. A vestibule, ten bedrooms and several bathrooms were located on the first floor.

Moorlands remained the property of the Mayne family until 1940, when it was bequeathed to the University of Queensland, to which the family also had donated funds in the 1920s to purchase the St Lucia campus.

United States service personnel occupied Moorlands during the Second World War and several army-style huts remain in the grounds. In 1947 the building was sold to the Brisbane Legacy War Widows and Orphans Fund, and accommodated war-orphaned children and widows until 1971.

The Methodist (later Uniting) Church bought the property in 1971 and the Wesley Hospital, which opened in March 1977, was built in the grounds behind the house. Moorlands was renovated and converted to office accommodation for the Blue Nursing Service. It is now the head office of the Uniting Church's Division of Aged Care and Domiciliary Services.

Following road widening in the 1970s the front fencing was removed and the gates and gate posts (replicas of the originals) were relocated higher up the hill.

Description

Moorlands is a large, two storeyed, rendered brick building, with timber belvedere and an attached service wing to the rear. It stands prominently on a hill overlooking the Brisbane River at the Toowong Reach, in substantial grounds fronting Coronation Drive.

The main roof is clad with slate, but the steep turreted roof of a corner observation tower is sheeted in broad-profile galvanised iron. Four double chimney stacks rise above the roofline.

The southeast and northeast elevations, with views of the river, feature verandahs on both levels, an elaborate timber belvedere at the corner, and a projecting gable with bay windows in the front (southeastern) elevation. The verandahs and tower are detailed with double timber posts with shared capitals and timber brackets, a balustrading of fine cast iron, and a timber valance.

Internally the walls and high ceilings are plastered and painted, with plaster ceiling roses in every room and arches in the hallways and in front of the bay windows.

The principal rooms feature elaborate cornices, paper friezes and timber moulding picture rails, which once were decorated in polychrome and gilding. Only the principal front room retains the original decoration.

Most rooms contain a fireplace with glazed ceramic tiles and a marble surround. Extensive cedar joinery (particularly the fine staircase and folding doors on the ground floor), is employed throughout the interior. Fretwork balustrading panels in the stairwell feature the intertwined letters PM and on the base newel are carved the words sursum corda. The stairwell is lit by a large stained glass window of elaborate design.

The internal arrangement of rooms survives, including the cellars beneath the kitchen.

A number of mature trees including bunya, poinciana and jacaranda are remnants of an earlier landscaped garden. The multi-storeyed Wesley Hospital complex is situated adjacent to the building.

Image gallery

Location

Location of Moorlands within Queensland
Licence
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last updated
20 January 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.